My dad bought me a Polaroid Pogo Two recently. Polaroid have been trying to push this as a digital version of their instant cameras since they ceased production of film, when really it’s a digital camera with a built in sticker printer, and there’s more to instant film than just the idea that you can hold the print in your hand straight away. So even though it’ll never be any kind of replacement (& I’d much prefer the production of some fully functional film for my SX-70), it’s fun in it’s own right for completely different purposes. I’ve been using it to quickly illustrate things in my diary & I’ve got some plans to do a bit of sticky public art.
- Easy to use.
- There’s plenty of pre-set modes for different situations to help your photos come out a bit better.
- Some fun (even if a bit cheesy) settings, like colour tints and borders.
- It’s fairly small and light (285g).
- The prints are pretty cheap, if you buy the largest packs available (90) they work out at less than 15p each.
- You can use it to print out any digital image taken with any camera as long as you transfer it over to the camera and rename the file so it recognises it – the one of the dachshund in the above was done this way.
- It can double as a web-cam.
- The internal memory is rather small, I find it fills up after about 4 photos, but it does take SD cards.
- Because there’s no viewfinder, only the screen to guide you when taking photos, it’s hard to see what you’re doing in harsh sunlight.
- The camera isn’t great quality (it reminds me of the first digital one I had – about 8 years ago), but it doesn’t really need to be for the size and purpose of the prints – you just won’t want to use it for anything you want to upload online or print larger. I’m not really used to not being able to have any control over things like focussing any more either so I have to make myself let go a little when using this.
- I’m uncertain as to how long the prints will last without fading – I couldn’t find any real numbers on this just some speculative ones that weren’t exactly high.
ps. Was this interesting to anyone? Should I write more things like this or just keep posting pictures?